Non profits and Charities
There are over 86,000 Canadian registered charities and another 80-100,000 non-profits in Canada. Registered charities alone have revenue of over $207 billion per year. Donors, regulators, media, the public as well as other stakeholders, have increasingly high standards for non-profits and charities. At Blumberg Segal LLP we assist non-profits and charities in Canada in trying to be transparent, legal, ethical and effective.
Blumberg Segal LLP provides legal services and advice to Canadian Non-Profits and Charities that are operating in Canada including the following:
- Incorporation and obtaining registered charity status
- Maintaining charitable status and dealing with CRA requirements
- Governance and continuances under the CNCA and ONCA
- Operating social enterprises and related business
- Conducting allowable political activities within CRA rules
- Assisting clients with CRA audits
- Facilitating foreign activities by Canadian charities
- Staffing issues involving employees and independent contractors
- Major agreements with donors and funders
- Legal and ethical issues with fundraising, fundraising contracts, major gifts and planned giving
- Partnerships, affiliations and mergers
- Intellectual property – copyright, trade marks and their protection
- Risk management and Informal Legal Audits
- Educational programs for boards, staff and volunteers on legal and ethical issues
We maintain two additional websites with extensive information to assist Canadian non-profits and charities with legal, ethical and practical issues. You can view these websites at:
We understand that legal issues are only one of many matters that a charity, its executive staff and board of directors has to deal with. We work with the non-profit or charity to prioritize action items and deal with the concerns in a way that provides the least disruption to the operation of a charity and its mission. In this way, a Non-Profit or Charity can proactively resolve issues so that donor, regulator, and media attention will remain focused on the good work of the charity and not distracted by issues that should have been resolved.
We pride ourselves on providing high quality advice that is practical and affordable and that integrates ethical issues with the legal advice. Non-Profit and Charity law in Canada is both a growing area of law and also an increasingly complicated area. We have 4 lawyers whose practices focus mainly on charity compliance issues. Our team of lawyers in Toronto is pleased to assist non-profits and charities with various legal issues whether relating to Canadian charities operating inside or outside Canada or foreign charities operating inside Canada. If you need assistance please feel free to contact Mark Blumberg.
- November,10 2013 read more
- September,22 2013 read more