There are over 86,000 Canadian registered charities and another 80-100,000 non-profits in Canada.
Registered charities alone have revenue of over $220 billion per year. Donors, regulators, media, the public, as well as other stakeholders, have increasingly high standards for non-profits and charities.
At Blumberg Segal LLP we assist non-profits and charities in Canada in trying to be transparent, legal, ethical, and effective.
Blumberg Segal LLP provides legal services and advice to Canadian Non-Profits and Charities that are operating in Canada, including the following:
- Incorporation and obtaining registered charity status
- Maintaining charitable status and dealing with CRA requirements
- Governance changes and transitions for the CNCA and ONCA
- Updating by-laws and moving Ontario corporations to the CNCA
- Operating social enterprises and related business
- Conducting allowable political activities within CRA rules
- Assisting clients with CRA audits
- Facilitating foreign activities by Canadian charities
- Staffing issues involving employees and independent contractors
- Major agreements with donors and funders
- Legal and ethical issues with fundraising, fundraising contracts, major gifts, and planned giving
- Partnerships, affiliations, and mergers
- Intellectual property – copyright, trademarks and their protection
- Risk management and Informal Legal Audits
- Educational programs for boards, staff, and volunteers on legal and ethical issues
We maintain two websites/blogs with extensive information on legal, ethical, and practical issues for Canadian non-profits and charities:
We understand that legal issues are only one of many matters that a charity, its executive staff, and board of directors has to deal with. We work with the non-profit or charity to prioritize action items and deal with the concerns in a way that provides the least disruption to the operation of a charity and its mission. In this way, a Non-Profit or Charity can proactively resolve issues so that donor, regulator, and media attention will remain focused on the good work of the charity and not distracted by issues that should have been resolved.
We pride ourselves on providing high quality advice that is practical and affordable and that integrates ethical issues with the legal advice. Non-Profit and Charity law in Canada is both a growing area of law and also an increasingly complicated area.
We have 5 lawyers whose practices focus mainly on charity compliance issues. Our team of lawyers in Toronto is pleased to assist non-profits and charities with various legal issues whether relating to Canadian charities operating inside or outside Canada or foreign charities operating inside Canada. If you need assistance with non-profit and charity matters please contact Mark Blumberg.